Welcome to the world of magical herb gardening! Following these best practices will help you successfully cultivate plants with a touch of enchantment. Understanding each plant's unique needs, characteristics, and personalities is key to unlocking your full potential as a Green Witch.
A Green Witch is someone who channels their spiritual energy from the Earth and the natural world. They possess a deep understanding of plants and use them for healing or magical purposes. They are often skilled herbalists, using their knowledge of medicinal plants to create remedies and teas to treat a variety of ailments. However, a green witch's knowledge extends beyond simple healing, as they also have an understanding of baneful plants and their uses. These plants have a darker energy and can be used for protection or cursing purposes. A green witch may also have an apothecary where they create their own potions and tinctures using their vast knowledge of herbs. For those drawn to nature and seeking a deeper spiritual connection, the path of the green witch may hold great appeal.
Empower your plants by using visualization techniques during planting and harvesting. Plant above-ground plants on a waxing moon and below-ground crops on a waning moon, and harvest by the light of the moon for an extra boost of magical energy.
As an herbalist, I have always found the moon phases to be a valuable tool for planting and harvesting. Each phase corresponds to different energy patterns that impact the growth and potency of plants. For instance, during the full moon, plants are at their most resilient, making it the best time for planting seeds. Conversely, during the waning moon, plants are at their weakest, making it the ideal time to harvest and dry herbs. This knowledge applies not only to beneficial plants but also to the baneful ones, such as belladonna and hemlock. As an apothecary, I advise you to be mindful of the lunar calendar when working with volatile plants. Planting and harvesting by the moon phases not only honors the spiritual significance of the cosmos, but it can also contribute to the effectiveness of your remedies.
Ten Green Witch Tips for Growing and Harvesting Plants:
1. Research your herbs. Not all herbs are created equal – some thrive in full sun while others prefer shady areas. Make sure you know the needs of your chosen herbs before you start planting.
2. Create a space for your garden. You don't need a lot of space to grow herbs – a windowsill, balcony or even a small patch of yard will do. Just make sure the space you choose gets enough sunlight and has good drainage.
3. Connect with nature spirits, ancestors, and higher powers by attuning your soul to your plants with prayer and petition for your crops to flourish. Don't forget to ask permission before harvesting; develop your inner listening skills and trust your feelings.
4. Choose the right pots or containers. If you're growing your herbs in pots or containers, make sure they're big enough for the roots to spread out. Clay pots are ideal as they help to keep the soil moist.
5. Use quality potting mix. Herbs need a rich, well-draining potting mix to thrive. You can buy potting mix from your local garden center or make your own by mixing equal parts sand, compost and perlite.
6. Water regularly and know the moisture requirements of each plant – aim for around once a week or more if it's particularly hot or dry. Let the soil dry out between watering to avoid root rot.
7. Respect and nourish your plants by using compost, worm castings, mulch, and organic matter.
8. Regular pruning helps to promote bushier growth and prevents plants from becoming leggy and weak. Use sharp scissors or gardening shears to remove any dead or dying leaves, stems or flowers. Remember to be gentle when cutting or pruning, and take a moment to inform your plants of your intentions.
9. The more you harvest your herbs, the more they'll grow! Cut leaves and stems as needed, making sure not to take more than one-third of the plant at any one time. Practice reciprocity by leaving an offering for the Earth when you harvest. The more you love, respect, and care for your plants, the more they'll reward you with witchy delights!
10. Keep track of planting and harvesting times, as well as garden notes and observations, by creating a garden grimoire. Spend time in your garden daily, visiting, observing, and establishing a garden ritual to strengthen your bond with your plants.