It is very important to note that with any new undertaking, there will be questions and adjustments, and your mind will probably want to talk you out of it as well. If you persist and experiment, you will get to where you need to be with your meditation practice. Understand that meditation is not something that will happen overnight or something that will be automatic from the onset. It takes time and it takes practice.
Here are some tips to get you started:
- Be intentional about your meditation. Meditation is a practice and a learned skill. It needs to be practiced intentionally in order for it to work. It does not just happen to you.
- Dress appropriately for meditation. If you are trying to sneak in ten minutes of meditation in your lunch hour, dressed in your business skirt and heels, chances are you will be rushed and harried. Set aside a time that is appropriate where you can wear loose fitting clothing and where you can concentrate.
- Begin with the practice of releasing tension in all your body parts. Focus on the feet first and release tension in that area; move up to your ankles, etc. Do this until you have reached the top of your head. For some practitioners, tightening and releasing muscles as they go along makes for a greater awareness of the release.
- Practice your breathing techniques together with the release of tension in your body parts. At first, this will seem difficult; however, it will become easier as time goes on. You will be able to tighten and release your muscles and breathe in and out to release that tension.
- Stretching your muscles a bit before sitting to meditate is a great way to get blood circulating and get in the moment.
- Let others in on your new-found desire to learn meditation. If those around you know you need quiet time, they will respect your solitude - especially if it will give them a happier and healthier you.
- Be consistent with your mediation practices. Do not let circumstances take over control of your mediation practice. Before you know it, you will become a pro - just stay consistent.